Jeevan Stem Cell Registry FAQ
Why should I join the Jeevan Stem Cell Registry?
Every year over 120,000 Indians are diagnosed with blood cancers and another 10000 children are born with diseases like Thalassemia. They can hope for a 60 to 80% chance of cure, if they find matching stem cell donors. The chance of finding a donor in the family is less than 30%. The match is highly ethnicity dependent and hence the chance of finding a match in an Indian registry is over 70%..
Why is Jeevan keen on enrolling blood donors?
People who have donated blood or platelets in the past are likely to be more committed to donate stem cells. Moreover, they are likely to be safer donors than others.
If I am a match, will I be paid for the donation?
No. By registering in JSCR, you are committing to be a voluntary non remunerated stem cell donor.
When I donate, will the patient be charged for stem cells?
The patient will not be charged for the stem cells you donate. However, there is a cost involved in the medications provided to you, HLA typing, testing for other infectious agents and counting the number of stem cells in your donation. The patient will reimburse these, if he/she can afford.
How much it will cost the patient?
Like blood donation, there is a cost involved in the process of collection, testing, HLA typing, transportation and delivery of the stem cells. Currently, It costs the patient close to Rs. 10 L for a unit of stem cells. Jeevan will strive to keep this cost below Rs. 3 L within India.
What is the process of stem cell donation?
You can donate your stem cells in two ways.More than 90% of people donate their stem cells by a process similar to donating platelets. This is called peripheral blood stem cell collection ( PBSC ). The other 10% donate through bone marrow, where they give cells from the bone marrow in their pelvis.
How does the PBSC donation work?
It is a relatively simple process.You will receive injections of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor ( G-CSF ) over four days. This is a naturally-occurring hormone which increases the number of blood forming stem cells your body produces. Possibly on the fourth day you will receive the injection in the hospital and a blood sample is collected for counting the number of cells in the blood. The PBSC donation will start the next day. A nurse or doctor will insert a tiny tube into the vein in your arm. The tube will be connected to a machine to collect the stem cells. Donation only takes about 4-5 hours. Occasionally we’ll need to collect more cells the following day. You won’t need a general anaesthetic or to stay in hospital overnight, though.
How does bone marrow donation work?
Will I experience any side effects for the drug (G-CSF ) administered?
You might experience side effects including flu-like symptoms and muscle pains, but they’re usually mild and only last a couple of days.If you need more information, please feel free to talk one of us at Jeevan Stem Cell Registry on +91 89399 99216 or send us a mail firstname.lastname@example.org